The marketplace for nursery products and services is changing, both in nature and scope. The consumer is more upscale, and the market is expanding.
During the last seven years, the number of U.S. households increased 10 percent to 140.9 million. The National Association of Home Builders anticipates 903,000 new home starts this year, while there will be more than 4.5 million sales of existing homes, according to the National Association of Realtors.
These facts alone paint a future of opportunity for forest by-products. But they do not stand alone. A significant population change has occurred. Baby boomers now dominate the housing market, the 45- to 56-year-old bracket will increase by 54 percent in the next four years, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce. Recently, 45 to 60 year old customers emerged as the nursery industry's primary buyers, accounting for 50 percent of retail nursery sales.
Last year, a quarter of U.S. households spent an average of $500 each for landscaping (installing plant material in original or renovated landscapes). This helped retailers ring up over $5 billion in sales.
Glen Mar Forest Products will offer this growing customer base a new product line that will change the face of landscaping. The product is called Rainbow Mulch™. This color enhanced shredded hardwood mulch is colorfast and environmentally safe. It does not blow or wash away and is safe for all plants and animals. The product is 100% organic and produced from virgin wood products.
The customer can choose from five rainbow colors:
- Rainbow Gold
- Rainbow Brown
- Rainbow Green
- Rainbow Grey
- Rainbow White
Rainbow Mulch™ gives the customer a new landscaping tool that can change a ho-hum lawn into beautiful landscape.
- Establish Glen Mar Forest Products as the regional leader in producing color enhanced mulch.
- Increase the number of retail outlets carrying Glen Mar Forest Products by 20% over the next two years.
- Build a solid working relationship with all the region's landscape product wholesale distributors.
Glen Mar's mission is to introduce innovative landscaping products to its target customer base. Charles Marshall, owner of Glen Mar, will utilize his landscaping background, his experience in the wood products industry, and his contacts with the region's wholesale distributors to create products that will change the face of landscaping.
1.3 Keys to Success
The keys to success in Glen Mar's business are:
- Offering innovative landscaping products. This is essential for maintaining the niche market sectors mentioned in the mission statement.
- Reliable and timely deliveries. Glen Mar must make good on its delivery promises.
- A reliable administration that is ready to serve customers, prepare accurate billing, follow-up on orders and other documentation, and maintain a close watch on expenses and collection of accounts receivable.