Problem & Solution
Problem Worth Solving
The tourism industry has undergone rapid growth of unsurpassed nature over the last several decades. This has mainly been due to the advent of a ‘borderless’ world and increased information dissemination about the majestic sceneries throughout the world, with the southern African region being no exception. Customers want to travel, to see the world. They are in need of a company where they can enjoy the sites and the luxuries without having to pay a huge price.
Sephats Tours intends to provide individual and group travel to leisure clients. Services and products provided by Sephats will initially include pre-arranged tours, custom packages according to clients specifications, travel consultation, and as time progresses making reservations for lodging amongst other related services. Sephats Tours seeks to differentiate itself as the premier adventure travel company in the greater Gaborone area. Customers will think we are well worth the expense
As it grows it will take on people and expand into related markets and services. It will also look for additional leverage by establishing relationships and representations with appropriate strategic allies.
Market Size & Segments
We will be focusing on those foreign tourists seeking leisure travel and excursions whilst on vacation in Botswana, with the intention of letting them see and appreciate the numerous attractions in our country. Though we realize that the majority of our tourists come from South Africa we shall be mainly targeting those from Europe and the Americas who often do not have transport or adequate knowledge about the country, unlike their South African counterparts who often do. Hence we shall be mainly targeting those who are not that mobile but wanting to see as many sites as possible. These people often do not want to waste their money on hiring vehicles to move about by themselves, but instead want to be escorted around places of interest by a reliable source. Hence the need to professionally market ourselves and the services we provide, offering a service of uncompromised nature. />Our marketing strategy will be based mainly on making the right service(s) available to the right target customer. We will ensure that our services’ prices take into consideration organizations’ and peoples’ budgets, and that these people know that we exist, appreciate the value of our services, and how to contact us. The marketing will convey the sense of quality in every picture, every promotion, and every publication. Our intension will be to target those individuals and groups looking for leisure activities and places to visit. We realize the need to focus our marketing message and our service offerings. We need to develop our message, communicate it, and make good on it. The decision to establish strategic alliances with several hotels, lodges and travel agencies is aimed at tapping our target market effectively and efficiently.
We have identified competing companies, some firmly established, that fill the same needs as Sephats Tours. We intend to market ourselves in such a way that with time competitor customers will choose our service over competitors’ on the basis of our higher quality and informative excursions. A more thorough outline of our main competitors including their strengths and weaknesses follows:
- XXX: Located on the first floor of the G Hotel, Gear Adventures specializes in tailor-made safaris throughout Botswana and her neighboring countries. Gear Adventures offers Mobile Wilderness Safaris, Weekend Adventures, One-day explorations and safari operators. Of particular concern to us are the day tours around Gaborone that it offers to G Hotel guests. Research indicated that Gear Adventures is the only operator that offers day trips in and around Gaborone. Several of its services include: [details omitted].
- YYY: Arguably one of the most reputable companies in our intended line of business. It has a fleet of nineteen buses comprising two semi-luxury B7 Volvo train-buses, six semi-luxury B7 Volvo, five M/Benz, four Nissan and two DAF buses. All the Volvo buses have radio facilities, and one of the train-buses has toilet facilities. With close to twenty years of experience Mr. K supported by his wife, Mrs. K, are achieving most of what they envisioned when they started their business-to provide a nation-wide road transport service renowned for its efficiency and reliability. The recent launch of a new imported South American double-decker luxury bus serves as testimony of their continued dedication towards providing a good service to their clients.
- ZZZ: Similar to YYY, Z is well respected in the market with a large fleet of buses. As well as providing daily transport to Selebi Phikwe and several towns it also provides local and international trips by hire. However they lack the marketing edge and foreign tourist focus we intend to have.
Upon closer analysis of the above competitors it may be observed that the majority of these are offering safari excursions, and this represents an opportunity to be realized by us. According to the Central Statistics Office there are approximately 81 travel agents, tour operators and safari operators in Botswana at present, the majority of which have a South African background either in directorship or actual origin.
Our advantages are best described as our strengths:
- Diversified client base: This will reduce our dependency on one particular market.
- Combination of skills in employees: The directors intend to engage well-qualified and experienced employees to jointly develop business strategy and long-term plans, so as to attain company objectives.
- Extensive advertising and marketing: The company will undertake extensive advertising and marketing, promoting both its name as well as service/product awareness. Hence an aggressive and focused marketing campaign with clear goals and strategies shall be one of our mainstays.
Keys to Success
Keys to Success
The keys to Sephats Tours success will undoubtedly be effective market segmentation through identification of several niche markets and implementation strategies. Along these lines the company intends to implement advertising, personal selling and direct marketing strategies to the target markets. Our personal selling marketing strategies will rotate around keeping in touch with hotels and travel agencies for major customers, and advertising for more individual customers. Hence our key success factors will include the following:
- Excellence in fulfilling the promise: We intend to offer completely enjoyable, comfortable and informative travel excursions that will ensure that travelers are thoroughly satisfied and appreciative at the end of their trip.
- Timely response to customers’ requests: We cannot afford to delay our clients for whatever reason, as this will have a negative bearing on our image and reputation, including future business. Hence we need to be continually communicating with the client, including hotels and lodges so as to ensure that we are constantly available to the client meeting their expectations.
- Solid and fruitful strategic alliances: Considering the nature of our services and our relative infancy on the market, we realize the importance of establishing and maintaining fruitful strategic alliances with various stakeholders, including hotels, lodges, and travel agencies, amongst others, so as be assured of a constant flow of customers, fulfilling their needs at every opportunity.
- Marketing know-how: As a relatively new company on the market there will be a need to aggressively market our business and the services we provide so as to be continuously at the top of our prospective clients minds. This will also act as a temporary deterrent for companies contemplating entering our market. Advertising shall be undertaken on a regular basis.