Ice Dreams will sell shave ice as its primary product in addition to soft drinks and frosty Latin drinks called licuados. Shave ice is the hottest new dessert since frozen yogurt! Shave ice is heating up rapidly and shows no sign of cooling.
Shave ice has been around for many years, beginning in Asia, then becoming popular in Hawaii. People would shave ice by hand, creating a cold, flaky snow. Then they’d top it with fruit juices to create a refreshing treat. Something this good couldn’t remain a secret. In recent years, the taste for shave ice has spread all over the world.
Shave ice is much different than a sno-cone in that it is made by a small counter-top machine that shaves ice rather than grinding it like a sno-cone machine, which results in ice so fine that it rivals real snow! The snow is then placed in bowl or cup and filled with high quality tropical fruit flavors. Because the snow is so soft the syrup is held within its tender texture versus settling to the bottom like traditional sno-cones. Since the syrup is absorbed into the snow, it must be eaten with a spoon instead of a straw.
Because shave ice is so tender and made with the thickest, best-tasting tropical fruit flavors, it is preferred by adults and children of all ages and ethnic backgrounds.
A drive-through business will be built on privately-owned commercial property on Highway 86 (Adams Avenue) in El Centro, California. Other products which will be incorporated into the business including beverages (soft drinks and licuados).
- To construct a drive-through building (12′ x 20′) on existing privately-owned commercial property (50′ x 120′).
- To produce a net profit of at least $50,000 by the third year of operation.
- To sell 20 different tropical and Mexican flavored syrups.
- To sell other products such as soft drinks and licuados.
Ice Dreams will produce and sell shave ice with 20 different flavored syrups, soft drinks, and licuados to consumers in El Centro, California. Retail customers will be in the low- to mid-income bracket, and will range in age from children to adults.
1.3 Keys to Success
The keys to success are:
- Will be the first business of its kind in the city of El Centro, California.
- Business will be located on a major city highway, next to several housing developments, the city pool, near schools and parks, and along a major restaurant and motel strip.
- Product quality will include a large variety of tropical and Mexican flavored syrups.
- Business has the potential for expansion into other Imperial County communities.
- City of El Centro experiences warm to hot weather approximately seven months of the year.
- Two-way traffic on Highway 86 averages 48,300 vehicles on a daily basis.