Emerald Outdoor Design
Emerald Outdoor Design is a full-service landscape design and implementation firm. It’s our goal to bring beauty to your home that adds to serenity in your life.
Serving the greater Eugene area, we specialize in residential projects and excel in transforming your outdoor area into an impressive and beautiful space. Through the use of garden design, custom planters/masonry, water features, and tailor-crafted walkways, decks, and patios—we will create the oasis and curb appeal of your dreams.
Homeowners often watch design TV shows, pass by homes with impressive lawn and garden features, or even thumb through magazines wishing they understood how to improve the aesthetic and function of their own home. Yet, they often come to realize that their background knowledge relating to materials, custom options, design possibilities, and plant varieties is far too limited. These homeowners seek a trustworthy, communicative, and collaborative landscaping and design team that can turn someone’s vision into a functionally beautiful design.
At Emerald Outdoor Design, we oversee each project from the design phase to the build-out process with the philosophy of maintaining a collaborative approach with our clients. Our designers are skilled in drawing inspiration from both modern and traditional influences and truly listen to their client’s needs and objectives. This allows us to design and install a beautiful final product (rivaling any TV show) that everyone is proud of.
The primary market for Emerald Outdoor Design is homeowners who are looking to improve their property appearance and value through landscaping and design. Common attributes of these homeowners include:
- A desire to create a functional outdoor living space.
- Properties with landscaping that is outdated or needs improvement.
- The need for a single solution that offers a wide range of services, including design, installation, and maintenance.
- Looking to work with a company that has a good reputation.
The secondary target market for Emerald Outdoor Design is businesses, such as real estate firms, who are looking to improve the appearance and value of their properties when selling through landscaping and design.
Competitors & Differentiation
- Landscaping design companies in the immediate area:
- Graham Landscape and Design
- Thompson Landscape Company
- GrassRoots Landscape Company
- Living Concepts Landscapes
- Clients who are all in on DIY
Emerald Outdoor Design is the perfect company for homeowners who are looking to improve their property appearance and value through landscaping and design. We have a team of experienced professionals who are passionate about creating beautiful outdoor spaces, and we will work with you to create a custom plan that meets your specific vision and budget—while also considering the site’s conditions and constraints.
We offer a wide range of services, including landscape design, installation, and maintenance, so you can be sure that your property will look its best. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you transform your outdoor space.
The initial tool inventory cost will be $25,000 with an expected increase as the client base needs will expand. Marketing costs to launch the business amounts to about $5,000 for website creation, initial google ads, email/mail marketing, etc. Beginning operational costs of 1 year, including expanding tool and supplies inventory, employee salary, machine maintenance, design software licensing, etc., the total amounts to $120,000.
The total initial funding needed is $150,000 to cover starting costs and the first year of operational expenditure.
- Google My Business listing
- Google Ads
- Personal accounts/references
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Ads
Ongoing expenses will include employee salary, taxes, advertising, and paying SBA loans. Hiring a small crew of 2-3 people and looking to expand to another team as clientele increases. The goal is to acquire 3-4 commercial properties, as well as over 30 residential accounts completed within one year’s time. A consistent cost will be advertising expenses including website, google ads, etc.
- 2022: $185,000
- 2023: $260,000
- 2024: $320,000
- 2022: $150,000
- 2023: $200,000
- 2024: $230,000
- 2022: $35,000
- 2023: $60,000
- 2024: $90,000
- Obtain permits and licenses (DBA, EIN, LCB, LCB)— September 22, 2022
- Purchase necessary equipment/tools — September 25, 2022
- Conduct employee interviews for Landscape Designer — October 5, 2022
- Hire Landscape Designer – October 10, 2022
- Conduct interviews for initial Labor crew — October 15 , 2022
- Hire 2-3 person Labor team — October 20, 2022
- Create website and Google, Yelp, Facebook, Instagram accounts — October 22, 2022
- Open for business — October 30, 2022
- Begin initial marketing/advertising campaign — October 31, 2022
- Google/Yelp review forecast — January 1, 2022
- Lane County Home and Garden Show — March 11, 2023
- Expand to two Labor crews for additional projects — May 1, 2023
- Hire Administrative Assistant (Sales, Customers, Financials) — July 15, 2023
Team and Key Roles
Owner/Manager: Establishes the business and is in charge of overseeing the hiring of employees, maintaining the financials for the company, forecasting supply needs, and nurturing long-term business prospects. Supervises construction of new projects and negotiates new landscape design contracts. Tasked with communicating with clients. Consistently monitors tools/inventory to successfully complete projects in a timely manner.
Landscape Designer: Landscape designer is responsible for creating and implementing plans/designs for landscaping projects. This includes anything from small gardens, irrigation systems, and outdoor spaces for clients. They must be able to take the client’s vision and turn it into a reality. This includes creating a plan, preparing drawings and specifications, estimating costs, selecting plants/materials, and helping oversee the construction process.
Hourly Laborer: Takes the design plans from paper to reality. Follows direction from owner/supervisor in steps to complete projects. Manages on-site inventory (supplies, tools, equipment) and communicates any identifiable problems that arise.
Partnerships and Resources
Emerald Outdoor Design’s resources/partnerships with local businesses and entities allow the company to increase its exposure to its target market and increase its stake in the local landscape design market. These partnerships give Emerald Outdoor Design the resources it needs to position itself as the leading landscape design company in the Eugene area.
- Gray’s Garden Center
- Partner with local Garden store to offer joint services with native plant species
- Emerald Outdoor Design Brochure
- Develop a targeted/curated high-profile brochure that is sent out to high-income residential properties in the immediate Eugene radius
- Chamber of Commerce
- Offer networking opportunities to rapidly increase company awareness
- Pitch partnerships to local HOA’s that are looking for consistent and quality work with competitive prices
- Lane County Home and Garden Show
- Set up a booth and showcase completed projects to attendees with testimonies, business cards, brochures, etc.