Information Management Hawaii
Products and Services
IMH will acquire an existing operation whose primary business has been the sale and service of business appliances (copiers, facsimiles, printers, etc.) and has operated as a part of the office equipment industry. We will build from this base to transform the business into a value-added provider of the emerging services and technologies of the new Information Industry. Following the lead of Canon, USA and other manufacturers which we represent, we will approach the marketplace from a total systems solutions viewpoint.
This new paradigm will begin with an analysis of the client’s existing and planned business processes, and will provide total workflow solutions utilizing multifunctional imaging platforms and information distribution systems. These systems will be backed by professional and reliable technical service and proactive customer service. By forming strategic alliances with local Information Industry Value-Added Resellers, we will be able to offer turnkey Local Area Network (LAN) systems and the ability to retrofit existing LAN and peer-to-peer systems.
3.1 Sales Literature
Copies of our product and sales literature are attached as appendices. Of course, one of our first tasks will be to change the message of our literature to make sure we are selling the company, rather than the product.
3.2 Product and Service Description
IMH will market and sell brand name business information distribution systems and hardware, technical service and support for these products, and the consumable supplies used by these systems. We will be a single-source provider for business information and imaging products and services.
After researching our various manufacturer’s offerings and evaluating our core competencies, we will focus our marketing and sales efforts around the digital products offered by Canon USA and eCopy, Inc. We will supplement this product line with Lexmark and Hewlett Packard printer products. As we continue to transition the company into the digital marketplace, we will form alliances with additional IT manufacturers and suppliers who can round out our product and services line.
Hardware product offerings will include:
- Canon ImageRunner multifunctional products (scan/copy/print/fax)
- Canon multifunctional facsimiles (print/fax)
- Canon Graphics reproduction products (commercial color)
- Canon Micrographics products (electronic document storage)
- Canon Printer products (color)
- Lexmark Printer products (monochrome and color)
- Hewlett Packard Printer products (laser)
Software offerings will include:
- eCopy ScanStation
- eCopy ShareScan
- eCopy Desktop
- Canon Image Platform (document distribution)
Service Products include:
- All-inclusive maintenance agreements (on-call service and supplies)
- Walk-in service (time and materials)
- Warranty Repairs (certain Canon consumer products)
- Sale of consumable products for all brand names (Canon, Ricoh, Xerox, HP, Lexmark)
Professional Services include:
- Information Workflow analysis and design
- Network design and installation (sub-contracted)
3.3 Competitive Comparison
The only way we can hope to differentiate well is to define the vision of the company to be an information technology ally to our clients. We will not be able to compete in any effective way with the large mainland-based office equipment companies by selling boxes or products as appliances. We need to offer a real alliance to our local customers.
The benefits we sell include many intangibles: confidence, reliability, knowing that somebody will be there to answer questions and help at the important times. These are complex products that require serious knowledge and experience to use. Our competitors tend to sell only the products themselves, and very little in the way of after-sale training and support.
Unfortunately, we cannot sell the products at a higher price just because we offer services; the market has shown that it will not support that concept. We have to also sell the service and consumable supplies and charge for them separately. This monthly recurring revenue is the foundation of our financial stability.
New technology has changed almost everything about the traditional office equipment (copier) industry, and for all practical purposes it no longer exists. The new Information Industry has emerged because of the technology of convergence. The primary driver of convergence of different forms of information is technological change, specifically the rapid diffusion of digital technology into an ever-wider array of information businesses. Beyond digitization, dramatic changes in computing and telecommunications industries (mainly in faster microprocessors and increasing bandwidth) are also driving convergence.
IMH will make convergence the theme of its vision, planning, and marketing strategies. We will move into the new Information Industry’s technology with the aim of bringing the most efficient workflow solutions to our clients while providing value-added customer support and service, and earning a reasonable profit in the process.
3.5 Service and Support
Our strategy hinges on providing unparalleled service and support, which is critical to setting us apart from the competition. We need to differentiate on service and support in order to become true partners with our clients. Our service offers will include:
- Uptime guarantees: we will include “uptime guarantees” with our all-inclusive service agreements to insure maximum productivity for our clients.
- Internal training: the “learning and growth” part of our Balanced Scorecard performance measurement strategy will include the requirement that our Systems Engineers and sales professionals become network and IT certified by the end of FY2003.
- Customer training: we will package comprehensive customer training programs with all of our offerings, to include systematic follow up and refresher training.
- Upgrade analysis: we will periodically assess our client’s business processes and requirements, and offer cost-effective upgrade solutions to meet changing needs.
3.6 Future Products and Services
Beginning at start up, we will explore and research new information technologies for inclusion in our product offerings. The products which we choose will be in line with our vision to transition the company from being an appliance seller, to being a provider of total information management solutions. These convergent information products will include:
- Wireless LAN systems
- Information management systems (hardware and software)
- Tele-business and E-Commerce systems
- Media transport and reproduction (distribute and print)
We have an established relationship with our manufacturers and suppliers, and will be able to take advantage of all discounts and promotions in order to keep our margins at roughly 49% throughout the operation. We will also implement and employ “just-in-time” inventory strategies for hardware, supplies, and service parts orders to further strengthen our margins.
As we continue to grow the business, we will evaluate other IT industry manufacturers and product lines to strengthen our offerings with a view primarily to quality and margin advantages.