HandyMan Stan is a start-up organization offering residents of Duluth, Minnesota a complete handyman service. By developing the reputation as a qualified, reasonably priced and trusted service provider, HandyMan Stan will quickly generate market penetration and develop a solid foundation of repeat customers.
HandyMan Stan's target market has been segmented into: home owners and property managers. There are 24,090 potential customers in the home owner segment. This group has a 5% annual growth rate. There are 1,243 potential customers in the property manager segment. This group is growing at a 4% annual growth rate.
As a handyman, Stan will offer a wide range of home repair services. The services are generally fairly minor tasks, if the problem becomes major a contractor is best suited to solve the difficulty. HandyMan Stan will offer the value-added feature to pre-screen a contractor when Stan is unable to perform the repair. This will develop a trust bond with the customer so that when a more minor issue comes up the customer is more likely to call Stan due to his honesty displayed earlier. Stan offers fix-it services for: plumbing, electrical, fences, windows, decks/patios, painting, weather proofing, floors.
HandyMan Stan will differentiate from the competition by offering: low price and low minimum charge. Stan is charging a reasonable $30 per hour in an effort to encourage people to hire him for tasks that they would otherwise try themselves of just ignore until it became more of a problem. The second element of the competitive edge is Stan's low one hour minimum. This compares favorably with the other industry competitors who often have two to three hour minimums. This edge also creates an incentive for the customer to call for Stan's assistance earlier than they would with comparable service providers.
HandyMan Stan's mission is to provide knowledgeable, convenient, and reasonably-priced handyman service to the Duluth, Minnesota community. HandyMan Stan will provide every customer with an honest day's work and will fix anything that is not done right.
1.2 Keys to Success
- Treat every customer as if they were the most important customer the business has.
- Honestly evaluate the needed skills for a job, passing it onto a contractor if it is too difficult as opposed to taking on a job that cannot be completed perfectly.
- Work hard, guarantee all work and promote 100% customer satisfaction, if this is done profitability will fall into place.
- Develop the business into full-time employment within 12 months.
- Generate steady revenue per year by the end of year two.
- Create over 20% of business from repeat customers.