Cranium Filament Reductions
Problem & Solution
Problem Worth Solving
First impressions are everything. A really good haircut is key to making a good impression. Not everyone can afford to spend a few hundred dollars and a few hours to get a good haircut. A lot of families have budget constraints. They need a place to go to get this stuff done.
Cranium Filament Reductions is a hair salon that allows the entire family to have their hair needs satisfied in one convenient visit.
There are many "quick salons" like Cranium, however, many of these salons, such as Cost Cutters, only provide the minimum services, whereas the upscale salons can be inconvenient due to scheduling requirements and cost. The owner of Cranium perceives an unfulfilled customer need for a low-cost salon that provides maximum flexibility and strong customer attention. Using this strategy, Cranium will gain significant market share and create critical long-term relationships with its clients.
Market Size & Segments
Cranium Filament Reductions will target each of the three groups separately. The males will be targeted by offering a quick, convenient, service. Because men tend to have shorter hair, they usually require haircuts more often. If they are getting a cut every four weeks and work normal business hours, most barbers are closed when the male customers have free time. Cranium Filament Reductions will cater to males with evening hours, no appointments necessary, and quick turn around times.
Generally females prefer the allure of upscale salons, however, not everyone can afford this luxury. For this reason Cranium Filament Reductions will provide the same quality hair styling, without the expensive price. Cranium will target these customers by emphasizing the sophisticated, ultra-hip styling that Cranium can offer.
Cranium Filament Reductions will also target mothers with children by offering the kids toys to play with while they wait and child-friendly hair stylists. Additionally, children receive a special rate reflecting the fact that children’s hair grows so fast that it can be expensive to keep up with regular cuts, as well as the recognition that it generally takes a lot less time to cut a child’s hair so it should be inherently less expensive.
Cranium Filament Reductions’ competitors include:
- Traditional barbers. They rarely serve appointments, it is generally a walk-in service. While barbers are usually willing to provide whatever cut you are interested, they are generally providing straight forward haircuts, typically on the conservative side. The advantages of a barber is they are inexpensive and easy to use. Their disadvantages is often conservative styling capacities, sometimes a long wait as the barber may be an old timer who enjoys to chit chat.
- Franchised "quick salons." An example of this would be Supercuts or Best Cuts. In essence this is a franchised version of Cranium Filament Reductions. The advantage of this style is the store will be the same from location to location and some people like this predictability.
- Independent salons. These shops typically focus on a specific niche and do not serve a wide group of customers. The advantages to these could be an independent salon that fulfills all of your needs. The disadvantage is that because they tend to be more focused, more often than not this type of salon will not offer exactly what customers are looking for.
The buying patterns of men and women are quite different. Typically men are more price or convenience sensitive. Men typically care less about the task of getting their hair cut. For them whatever is easiest works best. Women on the other hand are more caught up in hair styling and tend to bond more with their stylists. Because they bond more, they are much more loyal to their stylist. Once a stylist has earned their trust they are more willing to blindly put their hair in the stylists hands.
Cranium Filament Reductions’ competitive edge is based on faultless customer service. Cranium Filament Reductions recognizes that the hair cutting/styling market is crowded so it is difficult to stand out. Cranium Filament Reductions will stand out by providing superior customer attention. This is particularly important in the "quick salon" space that Cranium operates in because margins are a bit lower and the goal of a quick salon is to crank through customers.
Cranium will invest time and money into training to ensure that clients receive the best experience possible making it easier to turn them into long-term customers. By providing superior customer service, Cranium will be able to effectively compete against and outlast larger chains and independent stores.
Keys to Success
Keys to Success
Our keys to success are:
- To create a service-based company whose goal is to exceed customer’s expectations.
- To increase the number of clients served by at least 20% per year through superior performance and word-of-mouth referrals.
- To develop a sustainable start-up business, contributing to increased employment of community residents.