Products and Services
Noah’s Arf wants to set itself apart from other animal service facilities that may offer only one or two types of services. While talking to several pet owners, I have come to realize they desire the services I am proposing, but are frustrated because they must go to several different businesses. The focus of Noah’s Arf is day care and overnight care. However, the services we provide will be above and beyond what our competition can offer.
Our business atmosphere will be clean, friendly and upscale where customers will be comfortable leaving their pets. We will offer a personal touch, such as birthday cards and a daily report card for each pet that is registered with Noah’s Arf.
Our business will offer 24 hour service, a unique concept in this type of industry.
3.1 Product and Service Description
Noah’s Arf will be considered an upscale, full-service animal care facility. We will offer a wide range of services, not limited to dogs or cats. Services are as follows:
- Overnight Care: Leave your pet for as long as necessary for 24 hour care and attention. 26 large dog runs and eight kitty condos.
- Day Care: Provide 3,000 sq. ft. for a fun, safe atmosphere for pets to spend the day exercising and enjoying the company of other pets.
- In-home Animal Care: Staff will go to homes to feed, walk, play, and check on pets as often as requested. Mail will be picked up and plants watered if requested.
- Wash Your Own Pet: Provide four tubs, brushes, environmentally safe shampoo, dryers and aprons for clients who bring their pets in to wash.
- Pet Grooming: Provide on-site professional pet grooming services.
- Animal Behavior Courses: Provide certified animal training courses for the beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
- Pet Portraits: On-site portrait opportunities.
- Gift Shop: Provide specialty pet-related gifts and products.
- Special Events: Coordinate pet birthday parties or any other special occasions on-site or at a location of choice.
- Special Requests: Provide service for pets with special needs including administering medication, assisting with recovery from surgery, handicaps, etc.
- Pet taxi.
3.2 Competitive Comparison
The competition comes in several forms. There are several organizations that offer one or two services at their location.
Day care is a new business, offered currently only to dogs. There are eight dog day care facilities in the Portland area:
- Urban Fauna in Northwest.
- Lucky Dog Day Care in Tigard.
- Happy Go Lucky Dog Training and Playcare in N. E. Portland.
- Day Care for Doggy in N. E. Portland.
- Doggone Fun! in Tualatin/Sherwood.
- Kountry Kanine in Gresham.
- No Bonz About It N. E. in Portland.
- See Spot Play in S. E. Portland.
None of these facilities offer 24 hour care making it inconvenient for clients to pick up their pet by a specified time.
Noah’s Arf will service all domestic animals within reason. We will not be limited to dogs only.
There are seven wash your own dog facilities in the Portland area:
- Beauty For the Beast in N. E. Portland.
- Rub-A-Dub Dog Wash in S. E. Portland.
- The Dog Wash in Beaverton.
- Bowsers Bath in Tigard.
- Connie’s U Wash Dog Wash.
- Aqua Dog in Beaverton.
- Pups & Cups in N. E. Portland.
There are 73 grooming and boarding combined facilities and 18 dog training and obedience combined facilities in the Portland area. Noah’s Arf offers complete and total services at one location. One-stop high-quality pet care for customer convenience.
3.3 Sales Literature
This business will begin with a general corporate brochure establishing offered services. This brochure will be developed as part of the start-up expenses and distributed to large businesses, restaurants, local veterinarians, pet stores, real estate agencies, fire departments, The Humane Society, and the Washington Park Zoo. There will be a direct mailing to registered pet owners and a website created.
Literature and mailing for the initial market forums will be very important, with the need to establish a high-quality look and feel in order to create a trusting sense of professionalism.
Noah’s Arf will maintain the latest Windows and Internet capabilities including complete email capabilities on the Internet to work directly with clients for reservations, purchasing products online, asking questions, providing information, etc., as well as a Web page will provide information and maximum exposure of available services.
3.5 Future Products and Services
ONE YEAR GROWTH PLAN
- Veterinarian technician on staff to administer vaccinations on specified days and tend to any unforeseen emergencies.
- Internet access to watch your pet online.
- Monthly newsletter.
- Weekly play hour.
- Espresso and juice bar.
- Expand the number of overnight kennels by 10.
- Mobil pet wash–will go to pet owners home to wash their pets.
- Sell and distribute gifts and products online.
- Add an exercise pool.
- Combine facility with a local veterinarian.
- Expand the number of overnight kennels by 10.