Kiln Creek Bowling Center
Strategy and Implementation Summary
Customer service is paramount in the bowling business. The starting point to accomplish this is to have a trained and motivated staff that enjoys working directly with the public. It is always easier to please your customers when the facility is spotless and all of the equipment is in proper working order. The center will establish community involvement to demonstrate how the business will contribute to a better quality of life. Community projects using the bowling center’s facilities will be developed to help civic groups obtain their financial goals. School, church, and other groups will be welcomed for tours of the bowling center.
5.1 Competitive Edge
Kiln Creek Bowling Center’s competitive advantage is derived from many factors. The following differentiate it from its competitors.
- Location. Best location of any bowling center–only one-half mile off Interstate 64 in the prime business district of the area.
- Low Overhead Cost. Kiln Creek Bowling Center’s management will keep overhead costs to a minimum. First, during construction of the center, Charles Collins will be project manager, saving approximately 15% of construction costs. His experience at operating bowling centers, as well as his educational background as an industrial engineer, contributes to his ability to streamline operations while minimizing unnecessary expenses. The employment of the best in the field for his staff will allow many of the key employees to do more than one task. The center will have the most energy-efficient equipment of any center in the area and have the most technologically advanced equipment on today’s bowling equipment market.
- Wide Range of Services. Kiln Creek Bowling Center will provide entertainment, not only through bowling, but also by having a full-service restaurant/night club, miniature golf course (in future years), arcade, snack bar, apparel/pro shop, and children’s nursery. This diversity will bring in more customers and provide them more ways to enjoy themselves and spend their discretionary income.
5.2 Value Proposition
Kiln Creek Bowling Center will be the most modern and technologically advanced bowling center in the state of Virginia. The center is designed to fulfill the entire family’s recreation and entertainment needs in a clean, safe environment. We will cater to the high income households and ensure they receive the best customer service in the industry.
5.3 Sales Strategy
Kiln Creek Bowling Center provides a venue for the entire family to enjoy their leisure time participating in a competitive sport that requires minimum strength and athletic ability. The light exercise will help improve their health, and they will experience a clean facility where the service is the best in the industry, at a fair price.
5.3.1 Sales Forecast
The chart and table below show Kiln Creek Bowling Center’s projected Sales Forecast. Annual projections for three years are shown here, with first year monthly figures in the appendix.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Open Bowling Games||108,217||113,628||119,309|
|League Bowling Games||231,596||243,176||255,334|
|Food and Beverage||101,729||106,815||112,156|
|Total Unit Sales||571,519||600,094||630,096|
|Unit Prices||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Open Bowling Games||$2.75||$2.75||$2.75|
|League Bowling Games||$2.57||$2.57||$2.57|
|Food and Beverage||$5.50||$5.50||$5.50|
|Open Bowling Games||$297,597||$312,477||$328,100|
|League Bowling Games||$595,202||$624,962||$656,208|
|Food and Beverage||$559,510||$587,483||$616,858|
|Direct Unit Costs||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Open Bowling Games||$0.13||$0.13||$0.13|
|League Bowling Games||$0.06||$0.06||$0.06|
|Food and Beverage||$0.12||$0.12||$0.12|
|Direct Cost of Sales|
|Open Bowling Games||$14,552||$14,772||$15,510|
|League Bowling Games||$14,760||$14,591||$15,320|
|Food and Beverage||$12,051||$12,818||$13,459|
|Subtotal Direct Cost of Sales||$45,304||$45,923||$48,219|
The following table presents important events and their scheduled start and ending dates.
|Milestone||Start Date||End Date||Budget||Manager||Department|
|Financing in Place||12/1/2000||2/1/2001||$0||ABC||Marketing|
|Hire Key Employees||3/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Marketing|
|Mall Info Booth||7/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Marketing|
|1600 Fall League Bowlers||5/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Marketing|
|200 Billiard League Members||5/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Marketing|
|50 Dart League Members||4/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Web|
|12 Month Tournament Schedule||7/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Web|
|3 Month Entertainment Schedule||7/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Department|
|Frequent Bowling Program||6/1/2001||7/1/2001||$0||ABC||Department|
|Hire Remaining Staff||7/1/2001||8/1/2001||$0||ABC||Department|
|Open Bowling Center||9/1/2001||9/1/2001||$0||ABC||Department|
5.5 Marketing Strategy
Kiln Creek Bowling Center’s Marketing Plan was introduced in topic 4.2 Target Market Segment Strategy. Additional information appears in the following topics.
5.5.1 Pricing Strategy
All prices will be competitive and fair to the customer. The cost of products sold will determine the selling price after adding overhead and profit.
5.5.2 Promotion Strategy
We will use Cable TV, the leisure time section of the newspaper, and our website advertising as our three main ways to reach our customers.
- Advertising. Will develop our positioning message: Family recreation in a clean, safe environment where customer service is paramount.
- Sales Brochure. We reward our customers for spending money with us through our Frequent Bowler Program.