Mid Atlantic Recycling
Marketing & Sales
The marketing strategy is the core of the main strategy:
- Emphasize high value, high quality products and services.
- Build a relationship oriented business.
- Focus on municipalities, fertilizer manufacturers, landscapers, nurseries, and the federal government as key initial markets.
Our promotional strategy will be two-fold: first phase promotion will focus on before, during, and six months following our opening; the second phase of promotion will deal with the long term. The purpose of the first phase is to assist with rapid market entry to ensure early and sustained profitability. The purpose of the second phase is to ensure long-term growth and help propel us toward achieving our goal of expanding state wide and across the Mid-Atlantic region.
First Phase Promotions
- Publicity: We will send news releases to all of the major newspapers in West Virginia. Publication of news articles about Mid-Atlantic Recycling will lend great credibility and be an excellent way to let all target markets know about this new, innovative business and the solutions it provides for municipalities and users of compost or fertilizers. We will similarly seek publicity in the form of news stories from local (eastern West Virginia) radio and television stations.
- Advertising: We will utilize direct mail and face-to-face promotional strategies to raise awareness about our products and services in the target markets. Newspaper advertising may also be used. Radio and television ads are not certain, we will evaluate their effectiveness before further implementation.
- Internet: We will have a content heavy website geared toward educating potential customers about the benefits of our products and services. All literature, business cards, etc. will include our website and e-mail address information.
- Alliances: We intend to form alliances with fertilizer manufacturers to use our product in their fertilizer and/or distribute our product for us.
Second Phase Promotions
- Publicity: As the business grows and expands we will continue to seek publicity through news media to tout our successes.
- Advertising: We will continue to make face-to-face contact with customers and potential customers. Mail-outs will be done again within a few months of start up. The second round of mail outs will be updated to reflect the benefits provided to customers thus far. Such mail-outs will be sent periodically.
- Internet: We will continue to have a comprehensive website. The website will be updated to provide responses to frequently asked questions. After the first six months, and certainly after the first year, we will evaluate the viability of having target clients advertise on our site, and conversely, we will evaluate viability of advertising on our target clients websites (if applicable).
- Alliances: We will continue to seek mutually beneficial and complementary alliances with manufacturers where applicable.
Mid-Atlantic Recycling’s sales strategy is relatively straightforward. Get the word out about our products and services to potential customers, educate them as to the value added by our products and services, and the product/service will sell itself.
Our present management team will become the main sales force when operations begin. Mid-Atlantic Recycling’s sales force will increase as business demand permits. In the first six to twelve months of operations, our sales team will focus its efforts on municipalities, fertilizer manufacturers, farmers, small nurseries and other related companies. The team will promote the products based on their environmental strengths and extended duration. Mid-Atlantic Recycling will use other channels of selling after the first year. Face-to-face contact and direct mail selling are part of the selling plan.
Locations & Facilities
Mid-Atlantic Recycling will operate in Monroe County, WV, near the community of Lindside, WV. The Lindside location is approximately 10 miles from Peterstown, WV. The recycling facilities will be located on a 58+ acre property owned by company president, Oliver Pyne; 5 acres will be set aside for the recycling facility set up and operation. This site is ideal as it provides access to local municipalities and to Interstates 77 and 81. Also there is room for expansion as the business grows.
Additionally, Mid-Atlantic Recycling’s business location is located in a federally designated "historically underutilized business zone" or HUBZone. As discussed under the Competitive Comparison section below, this designation gives Mid-Atlantic Recycling certain advantages in selling to the government.
As the business expands to additional counties in subsequent years, we will need to lease property on which to site our facilities.
Composting is biological decomposition of organic materials. Bacteria, fungi, protozoans, insects, worms and other organisms typically play a part in the decomposition process. Composting is nature’s means of recycling. It will turn grass clipping, leaves, vegetables, fruit and other organic materials into a very beneficial soil amendment. Composting is also an effective means of reducing the amount of solid wastes going into our nation’s landfills. Mid-Atlantic Recycling’s process will greatly speed up the natural composting process.
As briefly described above, the human waste sludge used in Mid-Atlantic Recycling’s process will be picked up from municipalities in skid boxes provided by Mid-Atlantic Recycling. Accepting the waste, rental of the boxes, and transportation will all be sold as a service to the municipalities.
Upon arrival at our recycling facility, the sludge will be placed into one of six organic in-vessel digesters. These vessels are proven for composting various types of animal manure. In addition, Mid-Atlantic Recycling’s president, Oliver Pyne, has tested the unit’ ability to successfully compost human waste. The material compost produced was tested by the equipment manufacturer (CV Organics, Inc. of White Springs, TN) and found to be a high quality compost. Additionally, the compost material was recently tested by West Virginia University Agricultural Service Laboratory and found to be an exceptional soil amendment.
These recycling/composting units work as follows. The unit is 50 feet long. The sludge is placed into one end of the unit. To make compost, additional dry fibrous material such as sawdust, wood chips, or bark must be added. We will acquire a steady supply of these from International Paper Company.
The unit turns slowly, making four revolutions per hour, to ensure that adequate oxygen gets to all of the composting material. Also, the unit is set on a very slight, 2 degree, angle so that as the unit turns, the material slowly migrates toward the opposite end of the unit. During the composting process, the material heats up (due to the natural reaction) to temperatures of approximately 140 degrees Farenheit; this kills any harmful bacteria in the composting material. Temperature can be controlled to ensure optimum composting environment. Also, the moisture levels can be controlled to ensure optimum composting. After three days, the material has reached the opposite end of the unit where it is removed.
Advantages of this recycling/composting method are as follows:
- Recycling is completed rapidly in three days. Other methods take 90 plus days.
- Waste materials in the unit are isolated from the environment.
- The manager has precise control of moisture, temperature, and aeration during the process to ensure the most efficient composting possible.
- In-vessel composting can maintain a rapid decomposition process year-round regardless of external ambient conditions. The material can be used for improvement of organic matter content and fertility of soil.
Milestones & Metrics
Complete Business Plan
|Nov 14, 2017|
|Nov 27, 2017|
|Dec 04, 2017|
|Dec 18, 2017|
Computer Set up
|Jan 08, 2018|
Order / Fabricate Composters
|Jan 22, 2018|
|Mar 05, 2018|
|Mar 12, 2018|
|June 05, 2018|
|Sept 10, 2018|
|Dec 06, 2018|
- Facebook likes and twitter retweets and social media shares regarding articles about composting and why it is beneficial
- get reviews and comments from our customers
- customize inventory for needs